Saturday, November 1, 2008

satires, roasts, and Don Quixote




Wheeeeeee, here we go again! Another ban arrived in an E-mail today. This one was rather surprising because the ban was actioned at a website which prides itself on celebrating differences of opinion and "freedom of speech." I am dumbfounded in terms of why this ban rolled in. And I was accused of being another member, which basically indicated I was posting under two user names. I said: "If you think I am (that name) then perhaps you also think I was the second shooter at the grassy knoll." I received a PM asking me why I was making threats. Good grief, I almost needed smelling salts after reading that. Perhaps I should have said: "If you think I am (that user) maybe you also think I am Elvis." The grassy knoll appears to be an obtuse reference these days and the joke was so misunderstood. You have to wear a seat belt to prepare for a forum mentality. And wear mittens when you think you might be provoked to commit a font felony!
Message boards are places for bored people who have nothing else to do.... and in my retirement they have provided me with many hours of interactive fun. I now am forced to accept that at each and every forum I join I will sooner or later be banned. One member at this latest place disliked me for using "sophisticated words." She called me arrogant. So, whether I am banned for not beginning a sentence with a capital letter or for arrogance.... I am never banned for an egregious violation of the forum rules. I just can't win. It's all nonsense really. But, there is a bigger picture and I am reminded of the Martin Niemoller quote:
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
Speak up! If you don't, the cyber ban police will eventually come for you! Wheeeeeee....

No comments: