Saturday, June 20, 2009

"Only in New York, kids, only in New York"

Yesterday, I was walking over to Whole Foods and as I got closer I could hear screams and see the students (who had just been dismissed from the school up the street) running and laughing and screaming louder. One student was banging the sidewalk with a cardboard tube.

I approached and asked what the commotion was all about. One student screamed again and laughed and pointed: "It's a rat over there." I went into the store and informed security. A few workers left armed with equipment to trap the rat.

About 15 minutes later, I exited the store and asked one of the students who was still standing around: "Did they catch the rat?" Without missing a beat, she replied, "Yes. The guy from Whole Foods got it and took it over there across the street. This lady told him to give it to her. He asked her why she wanted it. She said, none of your business. It was in a bag and he gave it to her and she put it in her pocketbook and walked away."

"Only in New York, kids, only in New York."

No comments: