Saturday, November 24, 2012

There's something about Capri

from me to Andy Edelstein:
I read your piece, "The Long Island I Miss," and it brought back so many wonderful memories. This says it all: "OK, so nostalgia can be a particularly insidious affliction of the middle-aged..." What is it about some of those memories that so sticks with us and fills us with such a longing to "time travel?" What I would give to see a good movie at the old Argo, or to be able to dig into a good meal at China Sky or Herman's deli. So much really does come flooding back...
Marjorie

Andy replies:
Marjorie:
Thanks for the kind note. It's amazing that I'm still getting emails about this article, which I originally wrote for Newsday in 1998, but has remained eternal on the Internet. Judging by your references, you must have grown up in the Franklin Square area, as I did.

from me to Andy:
I grew up in Valley Stream. I remember coming home after a day at Capri and while my mother prepared "supper," I watched Annette Funicello in "Spin and Marty." I remember summer days reading "Little Lulu" on a backyard hammock. I can still taste that Good Humor chocolate pop. I found your article by Googling around about LI nostalgia at 1 AM.
Marjorie

Andy replies:
Thanks for getting back to me, Marjorie... Here's another weird coincidence: I worked at Capri Beach Club as a counselor (summer 1969) and hung around there in the summer of '70...

And this just in from the documentary filmmaker Alan Berliner:
Marjorie:
and speaking of hot summers...
i too went to capri beach club in atlantic beach as a child, though we also went to silver point beach club (when i got a little older), which was closer to my home in far rockaway.

Alan! Just a head's up! You so would be banned from TWoP! You do not use your shift key!

No comments: