Saturday, February 23, 2013

Remembrance of Things Past

Swann's Way: breathtaking in scope, imaginative, inspiring and intoxicating. The novel is staggering and is indeed a "string of pearls" for those who wish to become part of the select few who take the time to read this monumental achievement. It will stay with you forever.

 “For a long time, I went to bed early.”

 "Due to Swann’s visit, the narrator is deprived of his mother’s goodnight kiss, but she spends the night reading to him. This memory is the only one he has of Combray, until years later the taste of a madeleine cake dipped in tea inspires a nostalgic incident ofinvoluntary memory. He remembers having a similar snack as a child with his invalid aunt Leonie, and it leads to more memories of Combray."

Illiers-Combray:








"To think that I have wasted years of my life that I have longed for death, that the greatest love that I have ever known has been for a woman who did not please me, who was not in my style!"

No comments: