Saturday, July 20, 2019

Saturdays 10 to 1

In about 1963, I traveled from Long Island to NYC to take modern dance classes with Kathleen Hinni. She lived in a huge third floor studio apartment on 8th Avenue at about 56th Street and it was there that we danced for three hours every Saturday. We danced to Bloch's Concerto Grosso and to Dmitry Kabalevsky's The Comedians.




Then, at 1PM we went downstairs to have lunch. I ate with my friends, Amy and Roberta, at Whelan's which was on the corner of 57th Street. I can still hear the waitress calling to the cook: "BLT down, mayo, hold the lett." She had that job on point! There is a T.J.Maxx at that location now.



The building in which KT lived is still there. The door through which I entered that building so long ago is still there. And the entrance to the subway where I went to start the trip home is still there. It has a soft golden glow now. 







No comments: