Friday, July 19, 2019

Windows

It was so so long ago.... but I still remember how I sat with my grandmother on a grey sofa on the other side of that large picture window at the bottom level of this house. 

My parents were away and to pass the time we invented "games." So... we sat for hours and had "contests." We each would choose a color, black or blue, and then sit staring out the window and record the colors of the cars that passed. Would there be more black cars or blue cars? Who would win this game?

Life was so simple back then. Cars were only black or blue. The ways to pass the hours were so plain. 

It was over 70 years ago that I sat inside that house and watched the cars passing on that street and time seemed to move so slowly. The sofa was grey, the sky was grey, and I think inside I felt sort of grey.... 

I walked through that door to have my tonsils removed, I went back inside that door after a day at the playground, and we all walked out that door on a last day when we got in our car to drive to Long Island and move into our brand new house. 



My shiny bright pink bedroom was waiting. And it was on the other side of a rear window that I had so many imaginative dreams. Life seemed filled with wonderful possibilities. 

Time passes so quickly as we age, life moves at a rapid speed... but somehow memories sort of make all time stand still.



© text, July 19, 2019 Marjorie Levine

No comments: