Friday, November 14, 2008

a "sunken corridor"

There is a great deal of information about NYC's "highline." I visited the Allen Sheppard Gallery on West 25th Street today and viewed the amazing photos of this highline by James Bleeker. In stark contrast to the highline is the "sunken corridor," which is between 10th and 11th Avenues and is visible on both 44th and 45th Street through the cracks of the silver fences. I took photos of this amazing sight yesterday, and even was able to catch a shot of a train down below as it whizzed by. But, all of the photos could not be developed for some technical malfunction. I returned today and took more photos, but unfortunately no train passed. I was told that no trains even use those tracks any longer. So my great shots of that "phantom train" will exist only in my memory as it rode quickly by on that rainy Thursday afternoon carrying invisible passengers to some unknown downtown destination.
Please enjoy this second round of photos of the sunken corridor which still sits on a vista that now resembles a forgotten and neglected and worn out ghost town.

No comments: