Sunday, April 20, 2008

About Face

MoMa
The Maja Oeri and Hans Bodenmann Painting and Sculpture Gallery
Focus: Ad Reinhardt and Mark Rothko
from: www.moma.org/exhibitions/exhibitions.php?id=8265
Quote: "This installation, drawn from the Museum's collection of paintings by Ad Reinhardt and Mark Rothko, focuses specifically on the fertile years between the late 1940s and the early 1960s, during which each artist identified the style and format that would engage him for the rest of his career. Reinhardt's and Rothko's ideas about form and color challenged and reconsidered European artistic traditions and philosophies, giving rise to a unique American sensibility in art in general, and particularly in painting. Their paintings were characterized not by the grand, expressive gestures and brushwork of their Abstract Expressionist colleagues, including Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning, but rather by subtleties in color, form, and composition. Both Reinhardt and Rothko ask viewers to look closely, allow their eyes to adjust, and experience the interior space of the picture."

It was a glorious day today in Manhattan. MoMA was bustling with people and the streets were filled with shoppers. After the exhibit, I stopped into Saks to purchase Jo Malone wild fig and cassis cologne. I love it. Then I had dinner at my ultimate favorite French restaurant in Chelsea: Le Singe Vert. I had as an appetizer Le Päté De Campagne Maison followed by L'onglet De Boeuf Sauce Marchand De Vin.

When I first retired, I traveled a great deal. I went to Charleston, Savannah, San Antonio, St. Louis, New Orleans, Nashville, Atlanta, and Florida (Orlando and Miami). Europe, too. I was in an off-Broadway play called "Mishkins's Paradise." I had a volunteer position at The Museum of Television and Radio. I was doing plenty of stand-up. I belonged to The Single Gourmet and met wonderful people who also loved to experience new restaurants. I wrote many major pieces on education that were published in a fine NYC newspaper. I will add parts of the articles later. My most well-received was: "The Stepford Teachers."

I have a car, even though I live in Manhattan. I keep it in a garage under my building. I was driving all over the place. I visited Kykuit, Duke Farms, Oheka Castle, Lyndhurst, Tee Ridder, and so many other historical points of interest. I was constantly driving out to the Hamptons. Recently, I toured the newly restored Eldridge Street Synagogue.
from www.eldridgestreet.org, Quote: "The Eldridge Street Synagogue is the first great house of worship built on the Lower East Side by East European Jews. From its opening in 1887, the building has been a symbol of the religious freedom and economic opportunity sought by so many immigrants to America."

I am thinking of flying to Pittsburgh this weekend. Yes, Pittsburgh. I want to see "Fallingwater," the house designed by American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. I will see how I feel later in the week.

So why do I recollect all this? Duh! Because now I sit around all day watching paint dry... waiting for the next "ban" to roll in. I am licking my chops. I might make the Guiness Book of World Records. This is the hell that is my life! LMAO ROFL LOL and all that jazz. Damn, I wish Long John Nebel was still around so I could do a call-in later...

No comments: