Monday, April 28, 2008

"It comes with sunlight and serenity"

Serendipity 3 unveiled their $25,000 dessert with much media fanfare. "The Frrrozen Haute Chocolate mixes top-grade cocoa from 14 countries, spiced with 5 grams of edible gold and shavings of a multithousand-dollar truffle. It is served in a goblet dressed with a golden band dripping with 1 carat of white diamonds. It is eaten with a specially made spoon, encrusted with 3 carats of diamonds. Chefs need two weeks' notice to prepare it. The ingredients have to be flown in specially from around the world," the NY Daily News proclaimed.

Whatever happened to the Good Humor man? I remember those days of long ago when at about 7 PM on summer nights we would hear the music and bells of the truck and we would go running outside to the street screaming for him to stop. We were happy with orange popsicles, vanilla pops, and chocolate sandwiches. The ultimate splurge was an eclair bar. Even Breyers was a special treat when served after dinner.

The fancy candies that are sold in Godiva or Lazar's don't interest me at all. Give me some Necco Wafers, Chuckles, or Button Candy and I am grinding that shit into my teeth like I am married to a dentist. A couple of Dots and I swallow my caps.

The treats seem to reflect the times. It's all fancy schmancy now. Sort of like million dollar condos that are really worth no more than 125 thousand dollars. It makes me think of "A Stop at Willougby."

"Willoughby? Maybe it's wishful thinking nestled in a hidden part of a man's mind, or maybe it's the last stop in the vast design of things, or perhaps, for a man like Mr. Gart Williams, who climbed on a world that went by too fast, it's a place around the bend where he could jump off. Willoughby? Whatever it is, it comes with sunlight and serenity, and is a part of the Twilight Zone."

I just heard something. A menu was slipped under my door.

No comments: