Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Righteous Kill"

I saw the film "Righteous Kill" yesterday. It was just awful and preposterous. Here are my thoughts. If in the 1970s the young Al Pacino and the young Robert DeNiro could glimpse into the future and see their work as older actors at the ages of over 65, what would they think? I think they would be disgusted and humiliated. They were such fine and skilled actors and they chose their material so carefully. The young Robert DeNiro had an air of textured and layered mystery about him and the young Al Pacino seemed so intensely dedicated to his craft. If they could have looked into a crystal ball and seen this film, I think they would have thought they did indeed become singularly dimensional caricatures of themselves and they would be desperately unhappy. "Righteous Kill" is a farce and these actors should have aged into much better cinematic art. I left the theater shaking my head in disbelief and laughing. I felt sad in a way too... and almost personally disappointed. How could they do this to me? I am insulted. Abandon hope all ye who enter the theater...

No comments: