Friday, June 6, 2008

That's Life in the Theatre (TheeeAyTer)

I saw "In the Heights" on April 4th, just a few days after the first try when the show was canceled after the sound system went awry. It's a phenomenal show. One of the best I have ever seen. The following week I went to see a preview of "The Country Girl." About 20 minutes into the play, the show came to an abrupt halt. The curtain that was sliding from side to side to indicate a scene change was stuck! The lights went on. An announcement was made by Mike Nichols, the director, that due to technical difficulties, the continuation of the show would be delayed. It was a delay that lasted 40 minutes.
I attend the Tribeca Film Festival every year. My first ticket was for "Night Tide," a film from 1961 starring a very young Dennis Hopper. We had a pleasant surprise when Dennis Hopper entered the auditorium to join us for the screening. He sat right in front of me. So, the film began and about 25 minutes into the film, something in the sequence of events seemed very wrong to me. Well, soon Dennis Hopper shouted out: "They have the reels in the wrong order." Can you imagine that? There were four reels to this brand new print, and they showed them out of order: 1 3 2 4! At the end of the film, Dennis Hopper accepted the mix-up in good spirits and he stayed for an interesting Q & A.
A few weeks ago I saw: "A Catered Affair." It is a very heartwarming musical. When I left the theater, I was interviewed for a TV commercial for the show. I have no idea if it will be aired. Knowing my luck, it probably will not be... although in the year 2000, I was in an audience response commercial for the Dennis Quaid film: "Frequency." I also was on "Bloopers and Practical Jokes." In about 1984 when I was on a lunch break, I walked into The Market Diner and there was Robert Klein doing a bit with NYC cab drivers. I squeezed myself into the segment with some small talk by telling him I once taught in the same school as his sister, Rhoda. They kept filming as I talked to him and it made the show. I have the tape. Well, that's the long version of my recent theater experiences and my old appearance on a TV show.
Oh, I was also on Rudy Kazootie when I was about 5 years old.
RudyKazootie

No comments: